7 tips to save on fuel spend after the petrol price increase
South Africans are known for their resilience and are able to cope with a variety of financial challenges. One of these (which happens to be out of our control) is the constantly changing fuel price. The months of March and April saw a change of direction in the fuel price. The reason for this is the steady increase in the price of Brent crude oil recently, as well as the US Dollar gaining strength against the Rand in the last few months.
Here are a few fuel saving tips that we could all put in place to make sure our hard-earned money goes a little further:
- Slowing down to 110 km/hour (from 120km/hour) could save you up to 25% on your fuel consumption; driving at just below 100 km/hour could save you a further 10%.
- Driving with your windows closed will make your car more aerodynamic. The less resistance your car experiences while it’s moving, the less fuel it will use.
- Don’t rev too high – The recommended revs before changing gear is 2 000 rpm.
- Regular servicing will maximise engine efficiency and use less fuel.
- Drive “smoothly” – The less harshly you brake or the less severely you accelerate, the more efficient your fuel consumption will be.
- Correctly inflated tyres can also increase fuel efficiency.
- Reduce the weight of your vehicle by taking out any unnecessary items you might have in the boot or in the back of the car; a lighter car uses less fuel.
Driving slower is not only going to save you on your fuel spend but it will also reduce your risk of an accident. At Oakhurst Insurance, our Good Driver Programme is designed to keep you safer on our roads by measuring key driving indicators, such as speeding and harsh acceleration. The programme also provides an overall driving score which you can check on the Telematics Portal .
We reward the safest drivers on our Good Driver Programme with up to 25% cash-back on their monthly premium. This is yet another way to save money during these tough times of fuel price increases.
Speak to our chatbot,
, about the Oakhurst Insurance Smart-Box today at www.oakhurstins.co.za.